What CMMS Deployment Option Is Better?
One important decision that must be made when searching for computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) is whether to install it on-premise or have it hosted on a vendor’s cloud.
Over the years, CMMS has evolved from a strictly on-premise solution to one that can be accessed entirely over the internet. Today, cloud hosting has opened the door for CMMS in companies that do not even have their own IT infrastructure.
Given the choice of on-premise versus cloud CMMS, many buyers are left wondering, “Which CMMS deployment option is better?” Well, the truth is that the best option is the one that fits your company’s needs.
Why Choose On-Premise CMMS Software?
On-premise CMMS software is installed and run on your company’s server and accessed over your internal network. An on-premise CMMS is great for companies with:
- Mission critical equipment: Access to maintenance data for mission critical equipment is not limited by internet connectivity.
- Strict compliance requirements: Customized security solutions can better protect data needed for auditing.
- Predictive maintenance (PdM) needs: When properly configured, companies can use their networked equipment to trigger work orders based on monitored conditions.
- Customization needs: On-premise CMMS puts more control in the hands of the organization and can more readily integrate with other systems.
On-premise deployment is often chosen by larger companies with an existing IT infrastructure and ample IT budget. With on-premise deployment, your company is responsible for network configuration, software installation, and data protection, as well as any ongoing maintenance to hardware and supporting software systems. Your IT team retains full control over your maintenance management software, including storage and updates.
Why Choose Cloud-based CMMS?
Cloud-based CMMS software is installed on a vendor’s servers and is accessed via the internet or a web browser. It is best suited for companies with:
- Limited IT resources: With cloud-based maintenance software there is nothing to install. The CMMS vendor manages all configuration, data security, and product updates.
- Non-sensitive maintenance data: If no custom data security solutions are needed, cloud storage is a good fit. Vendors provide guaranteed data security and uptime.
- Mobile accessibility needs: Cloud-based CMMS software can be accessed from any internet-connected device, such as smartphones and tablets.
Read Blog Post: Benefits of Mobile Maintenance Software
Cloud-based CMMS deployment is often chosen by businesses that have strained IT resources or that do not have the IT resources needed to support the CMMS. Cloud CMMS is managed completely by the vendor, taking the burden off of your IT department.
FTMaintenance Deployment Options
FTMaintenance CMMS is available as both cloud and on-premise CMMS. Find out more about FTMaintenance CMMS pricing options.